Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday TIP: Switch Application By Name

I have for awhile been searching for a program that would allow me to manage all my open windows – as I typically have anywhere from 30-40 windows open on any given day.  The most frustrating thing was eyeing over the icons trying to find a certain window, and can’t seem to find it.  So enter some new tools for switching to open program by name:

  • Switcher – Adds a new shortcut Windows+~ that pulls up an overlay with a grid of screenshots of open windows, sorted by most often active.  Also, you can start typing, and it will search windows by name.  Downside: Requires Windows Aero to be activated, and it is somewhat graphic/cpu intense.  Probably not going to work well on a laptop.
  • ENSO Launcher – Replaces your CAPS Lock as a shortcut to a popup window where you can type various commands (if you’re like me and hardly ever use CAPs lock anyway, it’s not a big deal to lose this key).  You can type “go abcd” where abcd is part of the name of an open window.  As you type a smart-list dynamically populates with closest matches, and you simply press Enter to switch to the application.



I have both installed, and I’m quickly preferring ENSO Launcher because it is less graphic intense and more performant.

No comments:

Post a Comment